Pages

Wednesday 10 October 2012

Festered senses

"What kind of drinker are you? Light, Moderate, Heavy?"

"oh light drinker'...

This was me answering questions to the health nurse two weeks ago when registering at a new GP closer to home. I've never been a huge 'drinker' but enjoy a glass or two once a week...

In the last 8 days I have drank on 7 of those. I feel like the fermentation process is possibly occuring in my brain. Sometimes it's been just a glass of wine, sometimes it's been 2 or three drinks. Either way I know it's something that my body in particular isn't prepared to handle and I can't imagine (and don't really want to) what it's like for those who do drink every day, at leisure or out of stress and boredom?!

Sitting on the bus traveling to work today, I try not to snooze off given that it's 6.30am and I've been up since 20 past 5, (bed at 11pm). Specifics aside (!) , after ten minutes of my journey I realise I forgot to pop one of the few bon bons I have left over in my sweet jar, from a holiday visiting Dorset two weeks ago. As a result my mouth felt like it was festering itself. My voice is husky and brain feels like a dried out sponge.

Hand me the vitamin C!

Whether you build a tolerance to habits like this, of course some do say a glass of red a day should be no problem to our health, for those who involve drinking as part of their social life, as part of their daily routine - how the hell can you keep doing this!?

No comments:

Post a Comment