Pages

Tuesday 20 November 2012

Cutting down


It started with three a day. Black coffee in the morning, a cup of tea around 11am and perhaps another in the afternoon.

I began to cut down, making it two a day – one for the morning and one in the afternoon, so when commuting I wouldn’t feel rancid and shoulder hunched on the cold bus home. On the weekend I glug down on my special coffee (sent to me from Origin Coffee in Cornwall-thank you!) like it’s water on tap – it’s my weekend treat! Since caffeine is a stimulant, I tend to drink it to give my brain a boost. They say that caffeine is good for depression, as well as brazil nuts, combining these two elements with a brew has helped me feel good! However, enough was enough. I’m iron deficient and in the world of nutrition, caffeine inhibits the absorption of the good metal stuff.

It’s time I had to make a change. For about two weeks now I’ve cut down to one cup a day, sometimes none. Amazingly I’m feeling quite good without it, perhaps I’m even feeling better! There are no coffee jitters and I feel more hydrated, since I run long distance I’m keen to maintain this- and my skin feels great. The downside is I’ve been upping my processed sugar intake to plough through. I do have a sweet tooth and I like to enjoy indulgent foods, I suppose as I’m nutritionally aware I beat myself up about this more than necessary. Mind over matter, I’m trying to maintain a healthy balance to keep my energy up, nutrition consistent and of course my mind strong.

All in all, I’m feeling pretty good and I don’t just mean physically. Mentally I feel good and I think that’s part of the reason why I’m thriving without caffeine :) I’m making sure I take time to rest, time to chill out and also time to recognise and do those lovely things which really make me happy.

 
I’ve had a few compliments lately about my blog. I just wanted to use this positive post to say thank you very much to those of you who read and have provided feedback for That cake had consequence J There’s a couple of posts I have in mind which I HAVE to write about. Typically I’ve not been as disciplined in writing lately (naughty me)...

Also I’d like to say happy birthday to my friend who I wrote about in this post, who turned 24 yesterday :D I’m sure he’s feeling a little ropey today from his hardcore and well deserved celebrations!


Enjoy the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment